Saturday, November 20, 2010

It Must be in the Attic


Well it’s that time of year.  I bet you’re thinking that I’m thinking about buying a Turkey and planning that big meal for next Thursday.  Nope.  I’m actually talking about finding Christmas decorations. 

Remember that Aunchalee is from Thailand where they don’t celebrate Christmas or the trappings of the season.  But since she’s been “commercialized” by the Christmas gremlins, we typically do Christmas in a pretty big way.  She has rule and regulations as to how things must be.  She’s almost a Christmas trapping Pharisee if I might.  (You know those are the people that have to have things exactly their way or it ain’t right.)

While folk are out shopping on Black Friday, we are putting up decorations and maybe even the tree for Christmas.  The rule about the tree is that if it’s real, I might be able to hold her off a few more weeks.  But now for the hitch.  We never know exactly where all the decorations are.  We have several places and multiple red and green boxes where stuff is kept.  When you can’t find something, the pat answer is, “It must be in the attic.”

“Where are the automated reindeer?”  she ponders.  “Bet they’re in the attic,” I retort.  Actually, I hate those stupid automated yard things.  I hid them in the attic once.  But she found them.

One of the major rules according to this Christmas decoration person is that it all must come down on the day after Christmas.  She says, “Well Christmas is over.  Time to take the tree down!”  And down it comes.  More about that on December 26. 

Well, I better go help her get stuff down.  It’s Saturday.  I used to be able to say, “Sorry, I wish I could help.  But gotta get this sermon done.”  Oh well. . . .

See ya around!

1 comment:

  1. How interesting that Aunchalee wants the vestigates of Christmas removed right away. What would be something of worth that would last much longer for her? In our family, January 1st is the trigger event of removal.

    ReplyDelete