Saturday, December 4, 2010

Who Brought the Gorilla?

Remember, I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  It's the home of the Philadelphia Flyers, one of the most aggressive hockey teams in the NHL.  It's the place where famed Rocky Balboa grew up in a rough area known as Kensington, where he learned to eat Pat's steaks and box.  So needless to say, I was not used to passive aggressive personalities.  Aggressive perhaps.  Passive, never!

That background sets the stage for my question.  Have you ever noticed how pseudo-polite and passive aggressive some people can be?  Whether it's the proverbial elephant in the room or 800 lb. gorilla sharing the space,  in their "politeness" they just won't talk about it.  There at least.  As soon as they leave the room, they begin to spin the yarn, and the gorilla becomes 1,600 lb.. and the rumors about the gorilla begin to flow.  But once back in the room . . . "Gorilla?  What gorilla?"

Wouldn't it be nice if mature people could just say what they mean, mean what they say, and get to the heart of matters without playing their little games?  I like the approach of  Robert De Niro's character in taxi driver.  He wouldn't allow the gorilla to sit without being addressed.  "You talkin to me?" he barked!

Why am I bringing this up?  Well, it's the holiday season.  Families are and will be getting together.  Perfect opportunities for a gorilla to appear.  Let's agree.  Let's disagree.  But let's do it openly and with love.  And maybe, just maybe, we'll create a little more peace in the room, and no one will bring the gorilla.  Just sayin'!

See ya around?

2 comments:

  1. yea boy!!Peace to you my Friend FB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Know about all about "gorillas"
    As far as the holidays season goes, I can only quote from the following movie.
    Ellen: "I don't know what to say, except it's Christmas and we're all in misery" National Lampoon's Christmas 1989 amd

    ReplyDelete