Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hurry up! . . . and wait!

When I was in the Air Force, during basic training, the mantra was, "Hurry up and wait!"  No matter what we were doing.  Where we were going. Or what we anticipated doing.  We were always rushed to the next location only to wait on whatever it was we were supposed to be rushing to.

The holiday season is a lot like that.  Hurry up.  Let's go shopping.  Only to find the roads clogged with cars.  Wait, wait, wait.  Did you ever notice that traffic lights never change quickly when you are in a hurry?  Then you get to the store, and it's hurry up to buy, only to wait to pay!!!!

I have sworn--yes, sworn--that one of these years, I'm going to slow down and let the holidays come to me. I have sworn--yes, sworn--that one of these years, I'm going to enjoy Christmas and not have to run around like a madman, scurrying from one demand to another, one church function to another, one worship experience to another, one mad moment to another.

Guess what?  This is that year!!!!!  As the great theologian, Frank Barone, once uttered, "Holy crap!"  Yep, I plan to enjoy this Christmas.  If you want me to rush over for some Christmas cheer, give me a week's notice, because this year, I'm not hurrying.  I'll wait.  Because that's what Advent is about.  But hurry?  Not this year.

See ya around!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hope I don't die or anything during the holiday season.
    LOL

    "Merry Christmas, Nearly Everybody!"
    Ogden Nash, so few words, yet an absolute classic line in its wit.
    amd

    ReplyDelete